Saturday, October 31, 2009

6 Months Old

Busy Week! This week we celebrated Sparkie's birthday on the 27th, Nolan's 6-month birthday on the 28th and our 4th wedding anniversary on the 29th. The 29th also marked Nolan's 6-month 'well' baby check-up. He had (still has - and gave it to me, Ben and grandmother Sparkie) a cold, so well isn't really the best description. A little bit of what he's been up to in the past month or so....

  • A lot of talking. I've never heard a baby talk so much. Probably because I've never been around one this much. 24/7.
  • Disrupted sleep schedule. He still gets up twice during the night to nurse. His doctor says its not necessary to feed him, but he cries if I don't and let's be honest, no one wants to calm a crying baby at 2 in the morning. It's just easier to feed him and go back to sleep.
  • Being average in size. He's 17 lbs, 7 oz and 26.5 inches long. I think he might be longer - the nurse was kind of willy-nilly getting the length. I think he's over 27 inches long - at least he is when I measure him. Either way, he's at the 50% mark or above on length and right in the middle on weight too.
  • Trying new foods. So far we've had rice cereal (he still hates it), oatmeal (hates it), green beans (if there was a stronger word than hate, I would use it here), avocado (acting like he was choking the entire time I was feeding it to him) and butternut squash (LOVES it). I also have some parsnips to cook up and some sweet potatoes and a half a bag of frozen sweet peas leftover from making paella in the freezer. After I get through about 5 veggies, I'll add some fruits. I have a feeling those will be a success.
  • Stinky diapers. When you start solids, things start to smell.....foul.
  • Teething. This has been an ongoing process for a while. I can see two bottom teeth that are close to breaking the skin and the top two are clearly not far behind. Maybe this will be one good thing and he'll cut all four at once (maybe at night while he's sleeping and never know what hit him). A girl can dream, can't she?
  • Sitting. He's been doing this well since the 5-month mark. Still not trying to be mobile. Another thing on my wish list. That he'll be totally stationary until he's around the one-year mark and then decide to skip crawling and just walk. What a glorious thing it would be if that actually happened.
  • The cackle. It's more like a fake laugh. He scrunches up his nose and makes a cackle. Not sure where it came from, but we laugh when he does it so it continues.

As you can see, the monthly photoshoots with paper have become a little more difficult.

And if not distracted by the paper, he'll find something else to play with. He can't just smile for the camera. (These bumper pads do not stay in his bed. Just ask Ben how he feels about it).

I leave you with two of my loves. Hanging out. Love them both.....so much.

No comments: