Saturday, October 3, 2009

Can You Really Consider This REAL Food?

Hey everyone! Today was a big day. We hit up the Farmer's Market early this morning. Not as early as we originally anticipated - some nameless daddy decided to sleep in. We got some honey. Someone told us local honey could help with Ben's allergies. He NEVER gets sick so when he does, it's pretty bad. At this point, we'll try anything. Nolan took two two-hour naps today (and I took one too). We got all gussied up and headed over to Mike and Kacy's (and Wells was there too) for some yummy barbeque. There are few things better than SEC football and a good smoked pork shoulder.

We had to hurry home before any of the good conference games were over. We had big plans for tonight. Someone was totally ready to start solids. He's been scoping out us eating since he was about 3 months old. We bought everything last week, but I just wasn't ready. It's a big step. Up until about 2 hours ago, all he had ever eaten was breastmilk. I'll be honest, I was a little sad to see him take this step. I guess the saying should be something like, '5-month old baby cannot survive on breastmilk alone.' He probably could, maybe for another month or two, but it was time. So I got home and changed my shirt, nursed him and then mixed up some super runny rice cereal. I think in Nolan's head he was probably thinking something like...
"Wow, a bowl and a spoon. Look she's holding that close to me. Does this mean what I think it means? You're going to let me put that in my mouth. Finally."

"Don't mind if I do. Could you get it in there a little faster please."

"Very nice. More please."

"Actually, no. No more please. This stuff is gross."

"Seriously Mom. Get that spoon away from my mouth. It's nasty."

We didn't finish the whole tablespoon. He started to act disinterested about halfway through. He did really well with the eating part though. He didn't try to push any back out...until he realized it didn't taste so good. Tomorrow we'll go a little thicker and before you know it we'll be well on our way to eating a pulled pork sandwich with a lot of runny barbeque sauce.

1 comment:

Mike, Kacy & Wells said...

Nolan,

Keep trying the rice cereal. Like your mommy said, it's the only way to get to pulled pork.

Wells