Monday, May 10, 2010

A lot can happen in a year.

So it's official. Nolan is one year old. We had a birthday party the weekend before his actual birthday. He only fed me icing off of his cake and then started throwing it around the dining room - at which point, the cake was taken away. Just as a note, if you plan your pregnancy, try not to have your baby 8 days after your birthday (or 8 days from any family birthday)...in one week, we ate THREE cakes. The party was just a family event. I figured this was the one year I could keep it low key and he wouldn't be devastated.
He liked opening gifts more than eating. I mean, seriously, who doesn't like cake? I'll tell you who....my child. Which comes as a shock because I eat something sweet EVERY SINGLE DAY. (Note to self - I need to spend more time in a gym). At heart, he's a Cubbies fan, but since the Orioles are in a different league, he can wear the outfit Kimberly sent him.
At his one year "well" baby visit, he was 30.5 inches long and 22 lbs, 8 oz. Still right in the 50th percentile. When asked how he was doing with solids I laughed. Out loud. He has some weird aversion to most foods. Again weird, Ben and I eat ALL OF THE TIME! He still nurses about 6 times a day. I get tired just typing that. (If you have any strong feelings against breastfeeding your child this long, maybe you should see what the AAP or the WHO have to say about it). Turns out, a lot of kids who have late eruption of their teeth (he got his first tooth just before 11 months and a second one just before his birthday a third came in shortly thereafter, and we're still working on number four) don't take to solids that well. We're hoping he'll be eating table food by junior high. Now, we offer him food about 5 times a day. Most of the time he doesn't eat it. Sometimes he does. Like greasy mexican rice....off of a table. He ate a ton of this stuff. After he had already eaten a pretty hefty dinner.
And he's walking full on these days. You'll be doing something and then he's all BAM! up in your business. When 2 seconds ago he was three rooms away. Ben says he's stealth.

And no post would be complete without a picture of him torturing the dog. All Greyson wants to do is sleep. Nolan does not like sleep. Sleep is for losers (and most certainly not for moms...or dogs).

1 comment:

lsadler said...

He is so adorable!! Looks like things are quite wild around your house. Thanks for the comment on my blog. I will most definitely be checking out the medicine you suggested, although now I seem to be feeling a little bit better and don't want to vomit all day every day!