Sunday, June 9, 2013

Because she's the cutest little thing

that you ever did see.

If you know, it's been a busy month (well, 6 weeks) at the Scarbrough house.  We went to the beach, Nolan wrapped his first year of preschool and last week we took Allyn to Chicago for her first casting.  I'll elaborate more on how we are adjusting to the whole thing later.  But we are all good.  Great even.  So, onto the casting.

We arrived in Chicago last Monday. We drove to Tulsa for our flight because flights out of XNA are ridiculous.  Nolan stayed in town with Mimi (and later told me when we got home that he likes Mimi more than me).  We ate yummy food because finding yummy food in Chicago is super easy.  And then that night Allyn got her last bath.

 We got up early Tuesday morning and headed to Chicago Shriner's hospital.  We were the first casting of the morning.  We had to be at the hospital at 6 am.  And Allyn got to last eat around 2:30 am.  She was a little cranky. 
 We went through all of the pre-op questions and then went to the pre-op holding room where she was put in this t-shirt.  She is so tiny the small swallowed her up.  But the extra small wouldn't fit over the melon, so we just had to deal with the extra fabric on the small.  From this room the anethesiologist carried her back to surgery.  She cried when they took her away, but she cries any time I leave her anywhere...and sometimes when Ben takes her out of my arms.  She loves her mama.  I guess they finally took her into "surgery" around 8:30. 
 They put her in her cast, gave her clear liquids (I think.  Girl has also never successfully taken a bottle or sippy cup), trimmed her cast up and brought her back just before 11 am.  She was HUNGRY.  And to say I was ready for her to eat was an understatement. 
 Sweet thing nursed for at least 45 minutes.  I'm sure a lot of that had to to with the fact she was thrilled to be back in my arms.  When she was done, our nurse Gwen was trying oh so gingerly to get the iv out of her arm.  Sweet thing just ripped it out.  She's a tough one.  And here's my little pickle in all of her cast glory.  And she really is the cutest little thing that I ever laid my eyes on.

1 comment:

Linda said...

What a precious little girl! I know it's a tough time but hopefully before long it will just be a dream. My mom was 18 mos. younger than her brother. He was so excited to have a baby sister that he slipped into her bed and started jumping up and down. Result was Mom's leg sticking out at the hip. She spent the first nine months of her life in a body cast! She laughed about it and, of course, didn't remember. I'm sure Allyn will do the same. I imagine you and Ben will suffer more than her......