Tuesday, August 27, 2013

My thoughts on Miley-gate

It was all I heard about yesterday.  On reputable news channels and on trashy gossip sites.  People at the gym were talking.  Everyone was outraged.

I did not see Miley Cyrus's VMA performance.  I do not plan on watching it.  I'm not going to link up to a picture. 

Mid-30's Shelley can look at 20-year old Miley Cyrus and tell her she is going to regret that decision.  I know she is a performer and that is her art.  And artists change.  I don't expect her to be Hannah Montana.  But I do know that, God willing and the creek don't rise, she will grow older.  She may one day have a husband and kids.  And those images and videos that no one will be talking about anymore will still be available for her kids to see.

In my 20's I may a lot of really bad decisions.  And when I say really bad, I mean bad for me.  They didn't harm others and they weren't illegal.  They were just taking me down a path toward a person that I wasn't meant to be.  I feel like that is where a lot of our youth are today.  And performers like Miley shouldn't be to blame for their bad behavior. 

As a grown woman I need to be able to step up and say what Miley did was gross.  As a singer, let's focus a little more on the vocals and a little less on the outfit and grinding.  Because once you start getting attention, you want more and you'll go to great lengths to achieve it. 

And it is hard to course correct.  I still have days (weeks...months :-)) where I make some poor choices.  I get caught up in the drama and the attention.  But thank goodness I have a decade and then some on my 20-year old self.  And in spite of the head full of gray hairs, I like my less scandalous self much better. 

1 comment:

Heather said...

Greetings Scarbrough Family! I'm Heather and I was hoping you would be willing to answer a quick question I have about your blog! My email is Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail.com