Monday, July 28, 2014

Home Transformation

We closed on our new home in mid-May.  We moved to Illinois in early-June.  After what felt like forever, but was really not long at all, we moved into our new home in early July.  The flooring project took longer than expected so we had to push our move in date out a couple of weeks.  We were finally able to put down area rugs this past weekend. 

We didn't really take on "major" home improvement projects.  We installed unfinished 2-1/4" red oak flooring throughout the main level of the home.  There were several different types of flooring:  prefinished hardwood floors, original parquet floors, tile, carpet and original hardwoods.  Ben didn't love how it didn't flow.  We also painted the entire first and second floors.  Again, it was a flow issue.  We plan to do more over time, but it comes down to keeping the improvements in line with the value of the home.  I would love to redo the entire kitchen, but it works for now and it has been updated.  The kitchen I would want would cost a lot of money so it can wait close to a decade.  We would also love to do a media room in the basement when the kids are older.  And the yard needs a lot of TLC.  Our next big projects will probably be cleaning up the yard and replacing a lot of the old mechanical equipment - all but the hot water heater is original and will probably go out soon.

But for now, here are some of the updates.  I haven't hung a single thing on the walls yet.  We are actually still unpacking some boxes.  But these are the first three rooms you see when you come in the front door so they are the most done.  (And the pictures are from my phone so the quality is a little iffy).  Also, the rooms are not terribly dark, but they do look darker.  We practically live in a forest and there is a lot more canopy cover now than there was in April.  And we have the screens on the windows which makes it a little bit darker too. 

The foyer had a lot of brass and yellow walls.  The floors were parquet.  And there was a two tone floralish runner on the stairs.
 We painted the walls SW Neutral Ground (it's actually BM paint that has been matched; our painter preferred BM).  We spray painted the chandelier with Rustoleum oil rubbed bronze.  The stairs were refinished and the risers were painted white.  We also replaced the floors.  The stain color is Provencial with a satin finish. 
 The dining room was similar to the entry.  Same floors and same green. 
We painted the walls SW Versatile Gray (again BM color matched), replaced the light fixture, replaced the floors. (And put the screens back on the windows.)
 The living room had prefinished hardwood floors that were newer (and it stung a little bit to take them out just because they were nice).  And the walls were the same yellow as the entry (or close to it).
 The hardwood floors were replaced (stain is Provencial with satin finish) and the walls were painted SW Versatile Gray.  We put the screen back on the windows.


It's nice to finally be settling into a routine here.  I still have a ton of stuff to put away upstairs.  More updates to come.