Monday, October 12, 2015

LOOOOONNNNNGGG Weekend Roundup

We had a long weekend.  Our school district was out Thursday and Friday for parent teacher conferences.  Ironically, we are not out today.  Sometimes I just don't get the logic.

Fall is trying to settle in to the Chicagoland.  The trees are turning and some mornings are brisk.  But then we have and 80-degree day.  And it's supposed to frost this coming weekend.  More things I don't understand.

Wednesday the kiddos got out of school and Ben was traveling (again).  When he is not home I really try my best to keep the kids on the go and out of the house.  Being home results in lots of terrorizing: me and each other.  But when we are gone, things seem to be more manageable.  Wednesday early evening we headed up to Nolan's school to play on the playground because I was confident there would be other kids there.

 We stopped in the garden for some pictures (and to look at all of the fun stuff they are growing).  One sweet picture.
And one silly picture.

On Thursday morning we got up and headed to the gym.  I do a pilates mat class in the morning and didn't want to miss it.  The kids usually have a decent time in childcare there.  After the gym we headed to DeEtta's bakery for some yummy goodness.  (My children would eat their sweets every day).  After loading them up with sugar I decided we would hit up the DuPage Children's Museum.  They had finally reopened after a flood in January and we had not been since June of LAST YEAR.  And since we have a membership, I figured a day off would be a good time to make a visit.

 They were both big fans of the wind exhibit.
 It's SOOOO windy.
Upstairs was math and gross motor.  They played up there for a while too.  We finally got out of there around 2 p.m.  Allyn had speech therapy around 3 and neither kid had eaten lunch.  There was a lot of pouting as we left but I knew I didn't want to set myself up for disaster.

Ben came home LATE on Thursday evening.  We had a slumber party in mom and dad's bedroom.  Since Allyn had not napped, she went right to bed.  Which is good when you have a brother who won't stop talking.

Friday morning we had parent teacher conferences, then we went to lunch and Costco and Whole Foods and Allyn and I came home and napped.  I spent the evening cutting out Box Tops for Nolan's school.  And then I found a picture Emily had sent that her wedding photographer had taken.  And it just captured so much of our girl in one image.

Image courtesy of Steve Tinetti Photography. 

This girl LOVES BIG.  She has a spirit that will absolutely melt your heart.  And it really goes without saying that she has her daddy and me wrapped around her finger.

Saturday was early morning soccer and a lot more of stuff around the house.  And then yesterday I got to go to my happy place.  Which place is that? You ask.  Ben took the kids out for lunch and ice cream and to the Nature Center and playground for almost THREE AND A HALF HOURS while I cleaned the house.  It may seem lame to a lot of you, but I actually find cleaning to be a super peaceful time.  I enjoy things being put in order and feel a sense of accomplishment when I get them there.  And to get to do it alone and not have it destroyed behind me...HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY!

The kiddos walking around the Nature Center.  Allyn was really excited about going to see the fish.

Today the kids are back in school.  Allyn was super pumped to be going back and I got to surprise Nolan's class as a mystery reader.  As I started to read his class two books, he made his way to the front of the room and sat in my lap.  It makes me happy that he still loves to be affectionate in front of his friends.  I may have even gotten a hug and kiss on my way out.


No comments: